Tuesday, August 30, 2016

A Good Home Leave Part II


The second half of home leave brought us to Springfield, Missouri where my in-laws could enjoy quality grandchild time. This was also their opportunity to show me their favorite parts of Missouri. But before we could kick back and relax in the "Queen City of the Ozarks," we took a road trip to St. Louis for a mix of birthday parties, mini family reunions, and good old American sight seeing. We got to enjoy the radiating humidity at the St. Louis Museum of Transportation and the muggy drip of the St. Louis Zoo. While they stole the kids for a day at the air conditioned Magic House, I treated myself to an oppressive steam bath by wandering the colonial streets of St. George. HUMID. But enjoyable too. 

Back home to Springfield, the kids left little time for relaxation. They were too excited to ride Grandpa's speed boat, work in his wood shop, and camp in the back yard. They were keyed up for Grandma's tea parties, movie dates and MANY trips to the parks. Deets and Margo obsessed over their Uncle Danny, eating their way through his cooking. 

After all these years, I finally had my in-laws to myself. Obviously I ached for Mark's hugs and company, but I never had quality one-on-one time with my in-laws.  It was a great chance to get to know them better and watch them shine in their hometown element.  I hope it was a good opportunity for them to know me better too. My time in Missouri left me wanting "just a few more days." I felt empty and anxious as the kids and I passed through airport security for our first of 3 legs over 48 hours to get to our new home. But I left feeling totally supported and loved despite the massive miles between us. That's what I call a good home leave. 
 
Transportation Museum, St. Louis MO
Knobs and dials too hot to touch. 
Doing science experiments with cousins at the hotel.
Sharing a St. Louis Zoo popsicle that matches the pond.
Gloriousness of boating in Table Mesa.


Trying not to pee my leggings.
The sweetness of reunions!
Playground master. 
I tried not to look up, fearing what was crawling up there.
I looked up.
My best friend putting me to work.
Two men and their rope.
Firefighting training center.
Taking lead for a fire rescue.
All day long. Seriously.
Beer with a view- at THE Bass Pro.
More please.
Just a small woodcarving habit.
 Outside Uncle Danny's restaurant.

And inside his bar. The pic is of Deets at 3 months.
This exact seat is reserved for him July 7, 2021.
Biding our last minutes few minutes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.