Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Rominia: Vintage Style

1968 and 1961

Today I procured two travel guides for Republica Socialista Romania detailing the must see-ums of this grand country complete with foldout maps! One of the guides touches on helpful subjects to make the weary traveler in Communist Romania at ease: from its history to cultural attributes (opera is HUGE here and still is) to popular sports (duh, futbol),  government leaders to economic stability.

1938: 2 radio stations. 1960: Nineteen. 
In 1938 Romania produced 8,234
medical doctors. In 1960: 23,000
I would be interested to know how accurate a Communist produced travel book tells its tale to lure in tourists. But considering my limited language skills of market shopping and polite banter, I guess I will just rely on their upcoming translated edition.
1968 asking price: about $2.40
2013 price paid: $4.50


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.