Even though I usually enjoy my daily bike commute, for some reason Mark's suggestion to take a family ride simply felt exhausting this weekend. I whined for about 24 hours before I realized how ridiculous I sounded. So on the following morning, after I needlessly agonized over clothing selections (who looks good in cycling gear anyway?) we hooked up the trailer and took the kids down to Gravelly Point. The park, located 400 feet north of Reagan National Airport was once a landfill and is now a hugely popular stopping point along the Mount Vernon Trail. Trip Advisor ranks it 8th out of 32 Arlington attractions, even if there have been rat-sightings near the rocky shores of the Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary. But the huge grassy field, people watching, and plane sightings more than make up for it. Planes fly directly overhead onto the runway, sometimes as low as 100 feet and as often as every two minutes.
Deets' reaction was extraordinary. He howled, cheered, and danced around; He climbed onto the picnic table trying to get just a little bit closer. Margo, though slightly confused chimed in too, affected by his enthusiasm. Before long he was mimicking the scene from Wayne's World, laying down on the table letting the planes come to him. I hadn't seem him that happy in a long time. It put my earlier protestations to shame and I resolved to pull my bike shorts out of the tight crevice I stuffed them into. As good as a hiding spot as I think it is.
| Okay, okay- keep looking up! |


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.