Since my last visit to Prahova Valley back in August, I pined for a return trip. I missed the wildflowers, hilly vineyards and welcoming locals so I couldn't wait to drag my brother and sister-in-law to a local part of Romania that so many people don't even know exists. Recruiting Mircea with Cycling Romania for extra bikes and expertise, we all spent the weekend touring what continues to be one of my favorite places.
![]() |
| Snack break with "Fetitza Mica" aka Margo |
We started off at our hotel Casa Colinelor en route to the Monastery Jercălăi known for its 300 year old mobile Transylvanian church that was built and rebuilt in several different locations before sinking its roots in the village of Urlati. We wandered their vineyard and drank natural spring water before continuing onto Monastery Vărbila, a newer one down the road.
![]() |
| Monastery Jercălăi |
![]() |
Empty bellies started talking and luckily the trip ended at the Valea Crângului Children's Settlement for dinner and a long anticipated reunion with my friends at the foundation! I last saw them in August 2012, and they were thriving: the house, the garden, the children. The little girls took one look at Margo and snatched her away. Deets ran off to stare at the three chicken varieties: the Tony Blairs, the Bellasconis, and the Singhs. Mark, Gabe, Nettie, Mircea and I sat and relaxed under the vine covered awning.
|
![]() |
| Just one of the girls. |
![]() |






No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.